To understand the history of Christ the King, you have to start in the summer of 1996 when a group of families met for the first time on June 15 to begin thinking and praying about a new church in the greater Galleria area of Houston.
With guidance and assistance from Park Cities Presbyterian Church in Dallas and under the supervision of the regional body of our denomination (the South Texas Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) these families moved forward under the leadership of Leo Schuster, our founding minister, who was at that time an assistant minister at Park Cities Presbyterian Church and campus minister with RUF (Reformed University Fellowship) at Southern Methodist University.
Christ the King Presbyterian Church held its first worship service on February 2, 1997. We met in the Red Lion Hotel ballroom (located on Westheimer, just inside Loop 610). After four Sundays we moved to the West University Elementary School where we remained until August 20, 2000 when we moved to the Houston Community College Southwest Campus. We resided there for 10 years, moving to our permanent location at 1201 Silber Road on September 12, 2010.
The church was organized as a self-governing, self-supporting congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America on August 30, 1998. At that time the congregation elected 5 elders to govern the church along with the pastor. Christ the King seeks to be a church for Houston that points countless people to the King of all creation so that the healing power of his reign may be known far and wide.